Posted on Leave a comment

How Can You Save Money on Flood Insurance?

Coming right off the heels of an active 2017 hurricane season, most people are glad to have flood insurance. We all saw the damage caused in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Key West (PS: What are you doing to help?) So if you live in a high risk flood zone, kudos, you do your family and property well by keeping them protected.

But what if you reside in higher ground, away from bodies of water? What if you’ve been in Florida since you remember existing, yet, hurricane season after hurricane season, your neighborhood has never flooded? Is there any reason for you to continue making premium payments?

The answer is no. FEMA has a process for those who wish to request a revision of their property’s high risk flood zone designation.

What do I need to do to request a rezoning evaluation?

The first thing you need to do is get a copy of the Elevation Certificate of your property. You’ll also need your base flood elevation, and your lowest adjacent grade. Once you have all this information, you can fill out the required paperwork, available on FEMA’s website.

If FEMA then determines that your property is in fact outside of a high risk flood zone, you can take that determination to your mortgage lender so that they can dispense with their requirement that you continue to carry flood insurance.

If you are too overwhelmed or confused by all this information, email us at [email protected], and we’ll get the process started for you. National Flood Experts can inspect your property, and we’ll do it for free.

We guarantee our results by 100%. This means that if we determine that you are indeed in a high risk flood zone, we’ll call it a day and advise you keep your flood insurance. But if our evaluation reflects you’re not at risk, it’s a green light for that removal. Call us and get ready to save. Take your family on a vacation instead.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *